Location: You are an FY1 on the medical assessment unit
Patient: You have come to take blood from a patient, as you are walking into the bay the emergency buzzer has been activated and a nurse is shouting for help
– Perform a full ACDE assessment, a nurse will be available to help you with investigations or management that you require.
– After 6 minuets you will be asked a series of questions by the examiner.
– Answer any questions that the patient may have
Note to actor: Try to restrain yourself from volunteering to much information – you may do so when prompted (that is, by a specific question, not a general one). If a student is on the wrong line of clinical reasoning do not fuel this line of thinking, state no to the question as being ambiguous may prompt further questioning and does not allow the student to be appropriately tested. The aim of the exercise is to take a focused history; short answers are required.
You will be laying on your right hand side. Your arms and legs are shaking, your teeth are gritted shut and will not open
– Patient is a known epileptic
– Patient has just been transferred to the wards this morning, after being admitted late last night.
– Nurse saw patient begin seizing and shouted for help at same time
– No drug allergies